Happy To Be Home

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been happier to be home than I am right now. Where have I been? I had to go to New Orleans for work. I left Tuesday morning and got back Saturday morning. That’s a loooong time. I am hereby implementing a new rule – no work trip shall last longer than 3 nights. I can’t do this 4-night, 5-day thing anymore. But let me back up a bit.

I traveled down to New Orleans for a trade show on Tuesday. And for the first time in my life, I flew first class. Cool, right? Except, being the paranoid person that I am, I kept waiting for a flight attendant to come over and tell me I’m in the wrong seat. But that didn’t happen – score! I texted Derek and told him I was in first class and he wrote back, “First in class? What are you talking about?” Um…obviously he hasn’t flown first class before either. What a bunch of cheap asses we are. But old habits die hard, so there I sat, eating free M&Ms, a pillow propped under my head and reading Harry Potter in first class. Classy.

The trip itself was fine. Parts were really fun. Parts were not so fun. The main client that we work for is “difficult.” She can also be described as a word that starts with a “B” and ends with an “itch.” If you catch my oh, so subtle drift. She’s hands-down the most self-absorbed person I’ve ever met. Going so far as to kick me off the elliptical in the hotel gym so she could use it. And then making fun of me when I had no choice but to use the old lady recumbant bike. AND DUH! I’M ONLY USING IT BECAUSE YOU KICKED ME OFF THE ELLIPTICAL MID-WORKOUT, YA DUMMY!

Ok, moving on. By Thursday night, I was itching to go home. But nope, two more days. I was able to video chat with Riley and Derek. Hallelujah for technology. It made me feel so much better to actually see my family and my dog and my house. But still, I just wanted to go home.

My flight left early on Saturday morning. So early that I had to catch a cab from the hotel at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m. I woke up earlier than my alarm clock went off and once I was awake, I felt like I did on Christmas morning when I was a kid. SO excited. I just wanted to leap out of bed and get going. I strained to look at my watch in the dark and saw it was 4:20. Not time to get up yet. I lay in bed, wide awake, counting the minutes.

Why hasn’t my alarm clock gone off yet, I wondered.

I flipped on the light and looked at the clock.


UGH. When I looked at my watch, I thought it was 4:20, but it was actually 3:20. I had a lot of time to wait. So that’s what I did for the next hour. I lie in bed and waited for morning. Waited very impatiently, I may add.

But finally, it was time to go. I practically skipped out of our crappy, unfriendly hotel and into a crappier, more unfriendly cab. But I didn’t care. I was going home!

One short, stupid layover later, I was back in the Milwaukee airport. Derek and Riley waited for me outside the concourse. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the way Riley looked when he saw me. Or the feeling in my heart at that moment.

We made eye contact and he started yelling, “Mommy! Mommy!” and struggled to free himself from his umbrella stroller. Derek unbuckled him and he took off running right to me yelling, “Mommy, I missed you!” over and over. Seriously kid, you’re killing me.

We hugged and hugged and tears immediately came to my eyes. I dropped my suitcase and just held him. I didn’t care that other people were looking.

I was home.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s