In the blink of an eye, everything can change. People know this. Parents especially know this. Now, I especially know this.
Last weekend, we attended the wedding of my cousin out of town. It was the kids’ first night in a hotel. The hotel had a waterpark. Needless to say, everyone was excited and in a good mood.
The wedding itself was awesome. Very fun. Both kids tore it up on the dance floor, which was so cute I couldn’t even stand it.
The kids stayed up until 9:00, in great moods. Then happily slept through the night. While I tossed and turned in the Lumpiest Hotel Bed Ever. I woke up and was not a happy camper, though I was relieved both kids actually slept with all four of us in the same room.
We decided to head to the water park in the hotel that morning before check out. Derek ran down to the lobby to grab us some breakfast and then made a pot of coffee in the room. I poured myself a cup while Riley ate a bagel and watched cartoons. Charlotte was content to walk around the hotel room.
Riley asked for his water bottle, so I set my coffee down on the nightstand, pushed it back farther because I was conscious of the fact that our 1-year old was walking around the room, took 3 steps to the cooler, and heard Charlotte scream.
She had somehow grabbed my full coffee cup and spilled it down the front of her.
Within 10 seconds, I had her under the faucet in the tub, letting the cold water drench her chest and shoulder, which immediately turned red as she screamed. Derek grabbed her to take off the soaked onesie while I ran across the hall to get my parents. The saving grace was that our entire family was here.
My dad, a retired cop, sprang into action, wetting towels with cold water and draping them over her tiny body while I held her and she wailed. I think the scariest thing for me was that she woudn’t stop crying. She’s the type of baby that even if she’s hurt, if I pick her up, she’s comforted and she quiets down. The fact that I couldn’t comfort her terrified me.
My mom suggested calling the nurse’s hotline from our insurance company, so Derek did. They recommended we take her to the ER. I was shocked. I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. I just couldn’t believe this was happening.
So off we zipped to the nearest ER, 35 minutes away. With my husband’s driving, we made it in 25. Charlotte actually slept in the car, which was such a relief.
When we got to the ER, we told the receptionists why we were there and they peered into her car seat carrier, to see a smiling baby. She was smiling. Giggling. I couldn’t believe it.
As I filled out paper work, a nurse came in, looked under the wet towels at Charlotte’s skin and immediately took her back into the ER. That scared me.
When I finished with the paper work, they led me to her room. They had her out of her car seat and had taken the towels off of her. When I saw her red, blistered, burned skin, I thought I could faint. Instead I immediately started crying. I couldn’t believe how bad it was. I felt the worst I’ve ever felt in my life. How did I let this happen to her? To our tiny, 1-year old baby?
Long story short, several doctors examined her. Several burn doctors examined her. They ultimately just washed the wounds, bandaged her up and sent us home. But here’s the amazing thing – this kid is a trooper. The toughest baby I’ve ever met. She was walking around her ER room, giggling. She was smiling and flirting with the doctors. She was her normal, sweet self. And she had 1st and 2nd degree burns. Unbelievable.
I was so worried that she was in pain and would be up all night crying. But she napped on the way home. She slept all through the night. Amazing.
The next day we took her to the pediatrician to get her bandages changed.
Yes I have photos of her burns. No, I will not post them here. You don’t want to see them. And I don’t want to look at them.
Our sweet girl is going to make a full, quick recovery, according to the doctor. Anyone reading this, remember this story. When you think you are being careful with something that can really hurt a curious toddler, be even more careful. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. You may think you’re going to a hotel waterpark, and find yourself in the emergency room in your pajamas. True story.